Kindly Share This Story:

Two sisters were among the five persons who lost their lives in the Friday night fire that broke out at    Kubwa Village Market in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), their father, Fidelis Obinna, said yesterday.

Obinna gave their names as Chioma and Angel.

The victims’ mother is currently hospitalized, he said.

Obinna said the fire was preceded by a bang, the result of a kerosene tank explosion.

He said there was a total blackout in the area when the accident occurred.

– Advertisement –

“There was no power supply; no cooking or frying around, but all we heard was an explosion,” he said.

“I lost two of my daughters, Chioma and Angel to the fire.

“My wife sells foodstuffs around here and she is now hospitalized at the National Hospital, Abuja, with serious burns.

“The doctor told us nothing would happen to my wife, but that the injuries were too much; it’s all over her body except her breasts.”

READ ALSO  Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta Wins Premier League Manager of the Month Award

A trader, Mrs. Obilor Chidinma, who lost her 16 years old son and a daughter who is still in critical condition was taken to Kubwa General Hospital on the order of the FCT Minister of State.

Another victim, Queen Bulus, who sustained injuries, said she got burnt when an overhead electricity cable fell on her hand.

“I was sitting and selling plantain, then the wires sparked and suddenly one of the wires from the electricity poles cut and burnt me.

“All I could remember was that I ran away through the back to my house and left everything I was selling which later burnt to ashes.

“My mother took me to the hospital and I thank God I was attended to in good time,’’ she said.

An eyewitness, Aliyu Ibrahim, said that many people were burnt, but a hospital initially refused to attend to a survivor because no police officers accompanied the victim and his rescuers.

READ ALSO  FG promises to strengthen investment promotion policies

“The patient was taken to three different hospitals but was refused treatment initially,’’ he said.

Another eyewitness, Chukwudi Agu, commended the timely response of the Fire Services and those of security agencies in the area.

“The Fire Service really did well because if not for them, all the buildings here would have gone down as the level of fire here was intense.

“I really thank God they responded on time unlike in the past because I have never seen them perform that way.  I give kudos to them,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, a family member of one of the hospitalized victims approached the Bwari Area Council Chairman, Mr. John Gabaya, and requested his intervention in the medical treatment of her young boy.

She complained that Garki Hospital had placed the boy on admission and was requesting for N500,000 to begin treatment.


Kindly Share This Story:
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments